Our little guy loves playing with his little farm animals, and I’ve been wanting to find him a little barn for them. I saw a DIY barn on Pinterest recently and it inspired me to make one myself for him. I didn’t have a big tea box to use like in that tutorial, so I started brainstorming about what else I had on hand that I could use. I started picturing some of our favorite barns that we’ve seen at some of the homes nearby, and I had a perfect idea…an empty juice container.
Here are the supplies you will need to make this super simple toy for your own little one:
1. empty juice or milk container
2. sheet of red corrugated 12″x12″ scrapbook paper (I purchased mine at Joann’s)
3. sheet of brown felt
4. sheet of sticky back, stiff white felt
5. glue gun
6. razor blade
9. duct tape
1. I started by thoroughly cleaning and drying the juice box.
2. Then I measured the width of one of the sides (4 inches). I cut up the length of 4 inches along three of the sides of the juice container, starting from the bottom. This created a flap to be the new bottom of the barn. I also cut off the plastic pour spout and trimmed off the tab at the very top of the container that makes the top a bit more pointy.
3. I used duct tape to close and secure the flap to make the new bottom.
4. My son actually picked out this red corrugated cardboard a long time ago when we were shopping for craft supplies, and I had no idea what we were going to use it for. Red is his favorite color, and the corrugated texture makes for a great sensory experience, so I was determined to find a use for it eventually. I realized that it would make the perfect “wood siding” for the barn. I measured the red paper to fit the sides of the carton, and glued on with the glue gun.
5. Next I started with the roof. I used two sheets of felt, one sticky back white and one standard piece of brown felt. The white felt gives some much needed stiffness, and also gives the illusion of painted white trim around the roof. 🙂
6. I measured out a piece of each felt for the roof, approximately 7″ x 5.5″. Then I stuck the brown felt to the sticky side of the white felt, and glued the whole thing on the roof with the glue gun.
7. Then I used more of the sticky white felt to create the barn doors. I sketched out my design on the back (paper covering the sticky side), and cut out with a razor blade (cut over a cutting board).
8. Here are the cut out doors. Next I put the doors on, using a tiny bit of glue from the glue gun.
9. Last step was cutting out the doors with the razor blade.
My little guy immediately took the barn out of the sensory bin, but he has had tons of fun playing with it. He keeps singing E-I-E-I-O when he plays with it. 🙂
The other day, it felt a little bit like fall, which got me excited since fall is my favorite season. I love being able to dress in layers. I made this jacket many years ago when I was in fashion school. I was pretty upset when it didn’t fit me for a while after the pregnancy thanks to my really expanded ribcage. Now that things are back down, the jacket fits again! I put so much work into it and was going to be quite sad if I was never able to wear it again.
While I was sick recently, my headache was too bad to read, and my sensitivity to light was so bad that I could not comfortably watch tv or go online. I was starting to get bored out of my mind, so I decided to work on making some bracelets for myself. I had seen this tutorial on my friend Stephanie’s blog a while back, and have been meaning to make the time to try it out for myself. She is totally right that once you get the hang of the technique that you will want to make a whole bunch of them! I definitely recommend her tutorial. It made a style of bracelet that looks very intricate and complex so easy to make. She did an amazing job breaking down the style and how to achieve the look. Be sure to check out the tutorial here!
I wore my favorite breastfeeding friendly top again, as well as another great scarf for easy cover-up access.
Jacket: Originally an Express dark denim jacket that I stripped down, did a series of overdye techniques to get a unique finish & added studs to it
Nursing tank: Motherhood Maternity
Boots: Boot Barn
Bracelets: my own creation
I knew I have been feeling very tired ever since I have been getting over being sick, but I realized when I saw this picture that I still actually look tired as well. Oh well! I guess it will take me some time to recover fully from being that sick.
Another one of my recent projects: our front door. The previous owners of our house for some reason thought it would be a good idea to paint the front door (and other exterior doors throughout the house) with a streaky red paint job. It has bothered us tremendously ever since we moved in. We have been debating how best to tackle the issue for a while now, and I finally decided to do something about the problem.
We were originally planning to paint the whole house green, with white and purple accents. As crazy as this may sound, I like a purple door with a green house, but I do not like a purple door with a cream house. I didn’t want to paint over the ugly red paint with the purple I was planning to use as a temporary fix, and instead tried out a sample of the green I was planning to use for a tree mural. We ended up loving the color, and have since changed our exterior color plans. We are going to go with white with green accents, which means the door color works out fine in the meantime, until we have the time to paint the whole house. 🙂
I also sculpted a floral cross for the door!